Join our program team this semester! We’re offering a number of internships, including one opportunity to support our in-school literacy programs. See below for details on the position and how to apply. You can also see the post to apply for a Development & Communications Internship.
Location: New York, New York, 10030, United States
Organization: Behind the Book
Area of Focus: Children and Youth, Education and Academia
Last day to apply: Ongoing
Paid or unpaid: Unpaid
Behind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in high-needs New York City public schools. BtB identifies books that speak to urban youth from pre-K-12, then partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units that bring those authors into the classroom.
Through a series of workshops, authors discuss their work and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers as they guide them in the creation and publication of their own original work.
Behind the Book seeks a Program Intern to assist with the design, implementation, and administration of our school programs. The intern will work closely with the director of Programs and program coordinators to support all aspects of our classroom programs.
This position is ideal for a student interested in education as a career path. The intern will be essential in supporting a growing organization, and will gain valuable skills and experience in project management and nonprofit work.
Based in our Harlem office, the position is unpaid, but candidates can receive academic credit. Commitment is for one semester, 2-3 days per week, with flexible hours.
- Creating lesson plans, activities and worksheets for our school programs
- Revising existing classroom resources to fit needs of new program
- Cataloguing existing curricula, lessons and other resources in BtB’s Curricula Database
- Assisting as a volunteer in the classroom when needed Supporting staff with program logistics and administration, including cataloging student work and keeping track of program documents such as evaluation forms, release forms etc.
- Conducting research on books and authors for our programs and ordering review copies of books
- Managing the Behind the Book library
- Planning and participating in community events and fundraisers
- Providing support to Executive Director and Board of Directors as necessary
Qualifications: Outgoing, energetic, and with a passion for urban education. Detail-oriented, eager to learn, and able to manage tasks independently. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, as are strong in Microsoft Office. Background in education theory and/or previous teaching experience are a plus, as is experience with lesson-planning and teaching. Candidates with an interest in, and knowledge of, writers and poets of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: Submit a resume, cover letter, and one page writing sample to Alana Benoit at email@example.com. “Program Intern” should appear in the subject heading of your email.
Behind the Book is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Behind the Book
216 West 135th Street, Ground Floor
New York, NY 10030