There are a number of ways you can help as a volunteer. No experience or training is necessary, as Behind the Book and school staff are always in the classroom to guide you.
Each session lasts from one-and-a-half to two hours. Don’t forget to include travel when you determine your total time commitment. Typically, you’ll work with the same group of students in a classroom for two to four visits, scheduled over a few weeks. As a volunteer, you’ll not only experience the entire program, but you’ll be integral to its success.
As a volunteer in the classroom, you may:
1. Assist students in crafting stories or essays, doing research, illustrating or making crafts to accompany their writing, or other projects
2. Photograph the classroom in action for posting on Behind the Book’s and sponsor websites
3. Supervise students during field trips
As a volunteer in Behind the Book’s office, you may:
1. Conduct media coverage and public relations assignments
2. Extend our community outreach by building partnerships, developing relationships with local businesses, and liaising with political leaders
3. Support fundraising and promotion by working on mailings, events, and other projects
Okay, I’m in. What happens next?
Complete the brief questionnaire below. For more information, contact volunteer@BehindtheBook.org.
Behind the Book Volunteer Questionnaire
This information allows us to keep you up to date on volunteer opportunities, and determine which ones best match your skills, interests, and availability.