When you join the Behind the Book team, you will have the opportunity to work in a flexible, fun, creative and innovative work environment. Share your passion for non-profits, literacy, kids and making a difference.
Behind the Book is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Behind the Book is hiring a Director of Development! See more details below.
JOB DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Behind the Book is a 15 year old literacy nonprofit that seeks a full time Director of Development with the skills and vision to garner support and funds for our school programs. The DoD will manage all aspects of fundraising for the organization, including contributing to and executing the organization’s strategic fundraising plan. The DoD will have authority to hire a Development Associate. The DoD will be one of three members of the senior management team and will work closely with the ED and board chair.
The Director of Development is primarily responsible to:
- Work with ED and BOD fundraising committee chair to create 3-year strategic fundraising plan including target dollars by source, plan for donor cultivation, plan for donor recognition
- Manage execution of strategic fundraising plan, including writing and submitting proposals, reports, acknowledgments and budgets for foundations, corporations, government agencies.
- Manage fundraising calendar, including planning cadence of and goals for events
- Manage partnership outreach by helping to expand and diversify funding opportunities across government, foundation, corporate and individual giving sectors.
- Research and evaluate potential grant opportunities and other potential new sources of support
- Oversee fundraising events
- Determine and manage process for donor cultivation and recognition
- Grow corporate partnerships
- Manage social media plan
- Work with ED and BOD marketing committee chair to support all fundraising initiatives through social media and public relations.
- Coordinate production of Annual Report
- 4-6 years work experience; at least 3 years direct experience in non-profit fundraising
- Documented success writing grant applications
- Documented success running fundraising events
- Highly personable individual, who genuinely relishes taking an active, public role in the cultivation and solicitation of donors and funders, as a representative of Behind the Book
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PPT required; WordPress and Salesforce preferred
- Familiarity with NYC institutional funders
- Ability to work collaboratively and to incorporate or share feedback with facility and grace.
- Passion for Behind the Book’s mission
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and title are commensurate with experience. Benefits include health care coverage, and paid vacation.
ABOUT BEHIND THE BOOK
Behind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in high needs NYC public schools. Working with classrooms from K-12, Behind the Book identifies books that speak to urban youth and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units by bringing the authors of those books into the classroom.
Through a series of workshops, authors discuss their book and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers and ultimately guiding them in the creation and publication of their own original writing.
Behind the Book is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Please submit a cover letter and resume summarizing qualifications, relevant experience and salary requirements as well as a sample grant proposal to joumans@BehindtheBook.org.