Category Archives: Community

Inside the Org: Q&A with Board of Directors Member Ian Woolley

The programs provided by Behind the Book are only made possible by the amazing volunteers and staff of the organization. Our team is made up of many people with various roles, each necessary to fulfill our goal of bringing accomplished authors and their books into classrooms. One such member is Ian Woolley who today tells […]

Rita Williams-Garcia Energizes Classrooms Through her Exciting, Real-life Examples

The classroom buzzed with excitement as students settled in for an hour of storytelling. This time the story was personal. It was the story of a young girl with big dreams who never gave up. “One of the things I love about New Orleans, it has some of the richest culture in this country,” describes […]

Inside the Org: Q&A with Young Executive Board Member Alissa Nigro

No one values the Behind the Book team more than us. It is because of these individuals that we are able to bring life-changing programs to the underserved public schools in NYC. Today meet Alissa Nigro and her favorite reads. Tell us a little bit about your day job. What do you do outside of […]

Inside the Org: Q&A with Author Edie Colón

We’re honored to work with so many talented and inspiring authors and we’re always excited to introduce them to our students and watch the creative sparks fly during their writing and editing workshops. This fall we worked with Edie and Raul Colón and their book, Good-bye, Havana! Hola, New York! for the first time. The book, […]

How A Few Helpful People CAN Change Children’s Lives

My Experience Volunteering with Behind the Book by BtB Intern Dionne Crick Growing up with two wonderful parents who are both so passionate about learning and reading was the start of my love affair with books. To have had the privilege of volunteering with an organization that encourages a love of reading is phenomenal. I’m […]

Inside the Org: Q&A with Board of Directors Member Stephen J. Cirami

The Behind the Book programs only happen because of the amazing support system the organization has in place. Board members, donors, volunteers, program coordinators, staff members, teachers, and authors — there are so many people involved with making our programs great! Today, meet Stephen J. Cirami, a new member of Behind the Book’s Board of Directors. […]

December Volunteering Opportunities

Opportunities to volunteer for classroom programs are below. No experience or training is necessary to work with K-12 students as a writing or research coach, art assistant, or field trip supervisor.  If you haven’t volunteered with us before, please complete our brief application to become a member of our team. To sign up for an opportunity, […]

The Joy of Volunteering

By Emily Rosenberg “Nothing is more fulfilling than looking across a classroom and seeing every hand raised in excitement,” says Ali Maher Barclay, a Behind the Book volunteer who put in more than 17 hours to help make last school year’s classroom programs a success. Ali worked with kindergartners as they created public service posters […]

My Journey to Inspiring Kids to Love Reading

By Myra Hernandez When I made the decision to leave the classroom after 14 years as a teacher, I decided to dedicate a year to figuring out what I wanted to do, not as a career, but as a passion, for this next chapter in my life. Like any organized, risk-averse person would do, I […]